A mural is a wonderful way to enhance and personalise a room or outside space in any environment. Many clients want to give their new-born or children’s nursery a little extra magic and enchantment. Or perhaps you like the idea of enhancing your living room or kitchen with something to show off your personality or give a room some energy and life. Many schools, activity centres and public buildings benefit from mural art, as it can make the environment more welcoming and positive. The possibilities are endless! Murals can be painted anywhere and can be of anything the heart desires.
So here is the process for making your own mural come to life;
· Initial consultation
Here we discuss ideas and desires for your mural. I will show you my portfolio & mural ideas I have collected. If you are unsure of what you want, I can make notes on particular colours, styles, artists & themes you might like. I will then measure the area to be painted.
After the initial consultation I can send you a quote for a potential mural project inclusive of any design work, wall preparation, materials for the project and sealing the finished art work. Mural costs can vary depending on the level of detail required and any special materials used. Most of my internal murals use a combination of ‘Dulux’ matt/egg shell emulsion and Windsor & Newton/Reeves artist acrylics, as I find these products to be of superior quality. I will work closely with you to create a mural that is perfect for your needs and is an affordable price.
The next stage of the process is making a draft of the finished mural. If you were initially unsure of exactly what you finished mural might look like, I will liaise with you via e mail or phone to discuss ideas. I can then e mail you a copy of the draft for your approval or arrange a second meeting to show you in person. More drafts can be completed for a small fee to insure you are perfectly happy with the final design. Some clients may like to have a ‘deluxe’ draft to have as a keep-sake of the project.
· Scheduling your mural
Once you are completely happy with your design and are ready to have your mural, we can then arrange a date to commence the project. I will discuss the payment arrangements for the project and any paperwork that needs to be completed. A confirmation of the project will be posted, e mailed or hand delivered to insure dates, times and project costs are clearly set out.
· Completing the mural
The first step is to prepare the area to be painted and set up my working space. I always ensure floors are covered fully with dusk sheets and the area to be painted is masked off carefully. Most interior walls need little preparation, but some walls may need repairing, smoothing, cleaning or priming. The next step is to paint the background colour/colours. Once dry I then chalk out the basic shapes and gradually build layers of colour and detail until the mural is complete. Some clients may wish to have a clear matt vanish to add a layer of protection and longevity. This is not essential, particularly for internal murals.
25% of the total cost of the invoice will have already been paid 2 weeks prior to the start of the project (I will send a reminder/payment details 3 weeks before the project is due to commence). The remaining 75% is to be paid the day the mural is completed. Once the final balance is paid, I will issue a receipt for your records.
· Enjoy your new mural!
Now it is time to invite everyone around for a cup of tea (or a glass of wine) and a show off of your new personal art-work.